Exam Techniques, Tips and Tricks




Throughout my time at school and University, I had a friend called Mark.  We did exams in exactly the same subjects from the ages of 15 to 22. Despite the fact that Mark is quite a lot brighter than I am, as far as I can remember he never beat me in a single exam.  Why?  Well, mostly because he got interested in the subjects, and started exploring them.  I was just trying to pass the exams.  (Graham is now a professor at the Leeds University.  I’m just a teacher here at Wildern.  Which goes to show that being brighter pays off in the longer term.  However, there’s no reason he shouldn’t have beaten me in at least a few of those exams.) 
 
Since then I've seen the issue from the other side, having set hundreds of exam questions and marked thousands of exam scripts.  And I must say that the standard of exam technique apparent from many students at Wildern is poor.  It's almost as if many of you have no idea what you're doing.  This is madness - don't you want to pass?

Here, then, are a few collected tips and tricks from, if I say so myself, quite a successful campaign to do well in every exam that was put in front of me, (given the limitations of my intelligence), and to try and understand the minds of students who have written thousands of exam scripts that I have read and marked.  You might find some of them useful.
Read more here